Who can believe it is week 4 of the Bake Off already? and I must say I was rather saddened by the news that the Bake Off would not be returning to the BBC next year. I cannot imagine it will ever be the same on Channel 4. Anyway this week I decided to opt for the Churros recipe but I must tell you I sadly failed, my creation may look ok but the Churros were not very nice in the bottom of my cheesecake and I think I should have used a different recipe variation.
Strawberry Churros Cheesecake
250g plain flour
350ml boiling water
1tsp baking powder
1tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
sunflower oil for frying
(small amount of caster sugar and cinnamon to decorate)
300g full-fat soft cheese
300g strawberries chopped
100g golden caster sugar
1 small carton of single cream
1 sachet of gelatine crystals
1 small carton of double cream
3tbsp lemon juice
grated rind of half a lemon
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp caster sugar
1. Add the boiling water, butter and vanilla extract to a bowl
2. Sift in the flour, salt and baking power and mix well until no lumps are visible.
3. Fill a piping back with the mixture.
4. Draw a circle the size of your tin on a piece of baking parchment and pipe the mixture in a spiral to fit the circle. Once piped place in the freezer so that you can lift it out as a whole to fry.
5. Heat the oil until hot and place the spiral in the oil to fry until golden brown (I think this is where I went wrong as I could not turn to brown the other side due to the instability of the spiral).
6. Once cooked leave on a wire tray to cool and sprinkle with caster sugar and cinnamon.
7. To make the cheesecake filling heat the single cream in a pan and whisk in the gelatine crystals and leave to cool.
8. Mix the cream cheese with the sugar and lemon rind until smooth.
9. Add the chopped strawberries and single cream mixture once cool.
10. Whisk the double cream until it forms soft peaks and fold in to the cream cheese mixture.
11. Place the churros spiral in to a lined cake tin and add the cheesecake topping.
12. To make the strawberry sauce I added the strawberries, caster sugar and lemon juice to a pan and cooked until the strawberries were soft.
13. Then add the sauce to the Nutri Ninja and blend together.
Whilst the cheesecake tasted delicious I was very disappointed with my churros base, back to the drawing board on this recipe. I am once again linking up with the lovely Jenny at Mummy Mishaps.
I would also like to say a huge thank you to Tesco this week for sending me a voucher to purchase my ingredients for this bake.