This week is Pastry week in the Great British Bake Off and there is one dish I have always wanted to try and recreate, the Bakewell Pudding (not tart). When I first left school I worked at the bakers that made the original Bakewell Pudding and I just adored the smell when they came out of the oven. This was an easy choice but I had no idea how it would turn out. Also I had to bake this well in advance of the screening, as when it is aired on Wednesday, I will still be in recovery from spinal surgery and therefore won't have seen the show.
Rough Puff Pastry
250g plain flour
150ml cold water
120g caster sugar
55g ground almonds
3 extra egg yolks
2tbsp strawberry jam
1. To make the pastry sift the flour and salt together then rub the butter loosely into the flour, you need to be able to see the bits of butter in the flour.
2. Mix with the cold water until you have a dough and leave to rest in the fridge for around 30 minutes.
3. Roll the dough into a rectangle only rolling in one direction. Fold the sheet, top in to middle and bottom into middle and roll out again, turning a quarter turn before rolling.
4. Leave the dough to rest for another 30 minutes before you line your pudding dish.
5. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
6. Grease an 8 inch pudding basin and line it with your dough.
7. Put the strawberry jam in the dough base and spread evenly.
8. For the filling melt the butter in a pan.
9. I used the Nutri Ninja to blend the eggs and egg yolks together and then added the melted butter, caster sugar and ground almonds.
10. Pour the liquid (which is like a batter) over the jam.
11. Cook for around 40 minutes on the middle shelf.
12. Leave to cool and sprinkle with icing sugar.
If you would like to join in with the Great British Bake Off you can find more information over at Mummy Mishaps.