Easy Cream Horn Trifles
For the Puff Pastry
1 packet of ready made puff pastry
For the Filling
Melted chocolate for the end of the cones
1 quick Jel (I used strawberry)
4tbsps custard powder
2 tbsps sugar
1 pint milk
1 can of squirty cream
grated chocolate to decorate
- To start I made up the quick gel as on the packet, mixing with 1/2 pint of boiling water and then 1/2 pint of cold water and leaving it in the fridge until it started to show signs of setting.
- Make 1 pint of custard by mixing the custard powder with the sugar and mixing to a paste with a little of the milk, bring the rest of the milk to simmering in a pan and then add the custard mixture, stir until it thickens. At this point I placed some greaseproof paper on the top of the custard to stop a skin forming and left it to cool.
- Unwrap the pastry and roll out until it is about 2mm-3mm in depth and cut in to 2cm strips.
- Wrap tin foil around some ice cream cones and then carefully wrap your pastry strips around the cones.
- Bake at 180 degrees for about 20 minutes until they are firm and puffed.
- Once these have cooled, carefully remove the ice cream cones from the centre.
- To fill the cones I stood them up in a mug and drizzled a little melted chocolate into each cone, hopefully to stop any spills once the jelly is added. I then left this to set.
- Half fill the cones with the semi set jelly.
- Fill nearly to the top with custard.
- Add a good dollop of squirty cream and sprinkle with grated chocolate.
I intend to me far more organised next week instead of leaving it until the last minute and lets face it, it really can't get much worse than this week. I am looking forward to seeing everyone's fab creations.